Thursday, June 23, 2011

You Can Have A Phenomenal Memory

    Hi, I'm Frank Healy and I have a phenomenal memory. I know the day of the week every date was or will occur from 1753 to 2999. I also know the weather in my area every day since 1966, historical events, and what happened in my life every day since 1966.
     It started when I was five years old the week of February 27 to March 5, 1966. I was home sick from school for a week. Too sick to be up playing. My uncle Billy had given me a calendar for the year.Having nothing to do, I lay there and connected every date with a picture of what would be on prime time television that night. I would look at the squares with the numbers and create a picture in each square of what would be on prime time television that night. For Sundays it was Walt Disney, Mondays The Monkees, Tuesdays Combat, Wednesday Batman, Thursdays Robin (since batman was on Wednesday and Thursday I needed a different picture for the two days) Friday  The Green Hornet, and Saturday Flipper. By the end of the week I had the calendar for that entire year memorized by connecting each date with a television show.
     As the days and weeks went by I would recite in my head the date as events occurred in my life. Consequentially, I developed a good autobiographical memory. By the end of the year, I realized that I knew the date that everything happened since I began memorizing. As the years went by, I continued to make notes in my head on what events and weather occurred, and the day of the week each date was.
     In 2007 I published my book "Living With A Phenomenal Memory" which is a detailed account of my memory and how I memorized the calendar, schoolwork, facts about the Beatles, Marx Brothers, Space travel, and other assorted facts. It is available through iuniverse at http://www.iuniverse.com/ and Amazon.
     You may have seen the specials on 60 minutes of the people who have been studied at the University of California. On  February 9, 2011 I was studied by Dr. McGaugh, and was the twelfth person they have determined who has HSAM - Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory.
     Each weekday beginning on June 27 I will be posting a tip on how to improve your memory. Some of the tips might be spread over several days. However, it is good to exercise your brain every day. Stay tuned for tomorrow's tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment