Monday, July 11, 2011

The Importance of Believing You Can Have A Phenomenal Memory.

Events of July 11 -

1804 Wednesday  -VP Aaron Burr kills Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
1979 Wednesday - The Skylab falls over Australia.
1991 Thursday - Total solar eclipse visible in Hawaii.

     If you did the exercises up to now you have learned the entire calendar for this year in a short period of time. Additionally, you have learned things about Flashbulb Memories. Memorizing a year of the calendar is likely something you never thought you could do before, but now you know you can. With that accomplishment you can think and wonder what else might you be able to do that you never thought you could. Let's examine some possible beliefs that you may have had about your memory. Here are some typical examples.

     I have a poor memory

     I have an average memory

     My memory is not as good as it used to be when I was younger

     I was not born with a good memory.  Poor memory runs in the family

     My brother and sister have good memories, but I was not born with the gene.

     I am under a lot of stress, and I can't remember anything anymore

     I am depressed and I can't remember anything anymore

     I have had too much alcohol and too many drugs, my brain is fried

     I am all brawn and no brain

     I am good at music, art, or sports, but not at memorizing

     I am good at conceptualizing but not at memorizing

     I am a week away from Alzheimer's

     I am having too many senior moments

Most people can relate to at least one of these beliefs. Many people can relate to several of them. In tomorrow's blog we will learn how to change negative beliefs to build your confidence.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment