Friday, August 17, 2012

You must believe that you can have a good memory.

Events that happened on August 18:

1952 Monday - Actor Patrice Swaze born. He died on Monday September 14, 2009.
1961 Friday - Construction of the Berlin Wall was completed.
1962 Saturday - Peter, Paul, and Mary released their first song "If I Has A Hammer".
1966 Thursday - Cultural Revolution began in China.
1973 Saturday - Hank Aaron surpassed Stan Musial with highest number of extra base hits. He had
                           number 1378.
1981 Tuesday - Jerry Lewis appears as a guest on the Phil Donahue show to defend telethons.
1981 Tuesday - The mall in King of Prussia Pennsylvania opens it's "Kings Court" section.

     In my kindle book "Memory Quiz, What Type of Learner Are You?" there is a chapter on changing your beliefs about how good a memory you can have. If you are believing that you have senior moments, that you are all brawn and no brain, or that your memory is like a seive, you will continue to have problems and never improve your memory even if you try the techniques.
     When I used to teach memory courses, my students included people with brain injuries. Often, I would have to give those students pep talks so they would stay motivated to continue the class and not succumb to the belief that they will never have a good memory. As the 80's tune goes "Don't Stop Believing", you will accomplish your goal if you believe you can.
      Someone might be thinking "Yes but I have always had a bad memory, how can I believe I can do it if there is no evidence, and plenty of evidence that I can't". All great accomplishments were made by people who believed they could, despite a lack of evidence. You can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment